Today, users expect more and more from their applications (both mobile and web).
In terms of performance, 47% of users now expect a page to load in 2 seconds or less. Apps like Instagram and Twitter set high expectations in terms of usability and functionality. And the cloud is everywhere – data is expected to be at our fingertips at all times.
As well as consumer expectations constantly rising, the expectations of businesses is also increasing. Now, anything that takes more than 3-6 months to start delivering real value is unlikely to get past the drawing board.
85% of businesses want to deploy apps within these time scales, but only 18% have processes in place to support this pace.
One solution Intechnica has recently adopted to meet and exceed these expectations is to adopt Rapid Application Development, which allows 80% of an application to be built using a drag-and-drop interface, leaving just 20% to traditional coding. This speeds up the development process to the point where a functional, useful web or mobile application can be deployed across various devices and delivering value to the business within weeks.
Case study – Delivering value within weeks
Intechnica, using Progress application development solutions, recently helped a leading European transport and logistics company to match the pace of business change by developing a mobile application to deliver new functionality within weeks, as opposed to the 3-6 months it would have taken using traditional application development methods.
The front-end of the company’s existing logistics, stock and order management application could not keep pace with the rate of change required to meet the new expectations of its users.
The solution was remarkably simple – but hugely effective. Today, smartphones are ubiquitous, so a simple mobile app was developed to replace several paper-based processes and mobilise the entire operation. GPS-based geolocation, time-stamping and photography functionality (all of which is available in almost every smartphone) was built into the app.
The business is now able to move with much greater pace and efficiency, enabling it to reduce costs and pro-actively manage its resource planning and invoicing functions with much greater accuracy.
The app was built, functional and delivering benefits to the business in just a matter of weeks.
Learn how businesses are addressing the increasing demand for faster development and time to value in an exclusive white paper produced by Intechnica. Head on over to the Intechnica website to download your copy now!